Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Autograph

This is the old forum and provided for reference only. Please go to our new forum.
Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices (Read 5845 times)
donvince
Ex Member

Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices
25th Feb, 2005 at 5:31pm

When creating a new 3D graph page, I get this error:
Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices.
This could be due to your graphics card or driver not supporting DirectX 9.0. Please refer to the documentation for help on upgrading your driver.

Following advice from this forum I have checked my DDI version. The DDI version is 8, which as advised is greater than 7.

I have tried upgrading to the latest version of the graphics card driver, but sadly the problem persists.

Can anyone advise me what to try next?

Cheers,
Don

IP Logged

Mark
Ex Member

Re: Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices
Reply #1 - 28th Feb, 2005 at 8:31pm

Just a couple of questions to try and diagnose the problem:

Does the Display tab in dxdiag state that Direct3D Acceleration is 'Enabled'? This can be found in the 'DirectX Features' box. If so, try clicking 'Test Direct3D' to ensure that the 3D acceleration is functioning properly.

Also, what graphics card do you have? This is displayed in the 'Device' Box on the same page.

IP Logged

donvince
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 1st Mar, 2005 at 11:27am

Hi Mark,

Direct3D Acceleration is Enabled.

When clicking Test Direct3D we get 3 different spinny cubes.

The graphics card is an Intel(R) 82815 Graphics Controller, which has 32MB of RAM.

Cheers,
Don

IP Logged

Mark
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 1st Mar, 2005 at 1:56pm

Hi Don

Not entirely sure what the problem is here. What version of Autograph are you using? You can find this in the Help->About box.

One other thing to check is that you are in either a 16-bit or 32-bit colour quality mode. This can be determined by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting 'Properties'. Click the 'Settings' tab and ensure that the colour quality is either 16 or 32-bit. Direct3D will not operate in any other colour quality. However, it usually gives you a warning if you are in the wrong mode so it is a bit of a long shot.

Also make sure that you have the latest driver from Intel. This can be found at the following link:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Product_Filter.asp?ProductID=797

One final thing, it might be useful if you could send me a file containing your dxdiag info. You can do this by clicking the 'Save All Information' button. Email the resulting file to me at marknospam@autograph-maths.com. Remove the nospam in the email address.

Regards
Mark

IP Logged

donvince
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 3rd Mar, 2005 at 2:07pm

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for your help so far, to answer your question, I'm using version 3.02

The colour depth, as you said it should be, was already correct.

Now when I went to update the drivers this seemed to cure the problem (I have no idea which driver I installed the previous time I tried that?!?).

Now however I am getting reports that other users (non-admins) are having trouble, and getting the same error message. I will confirm this and let you know how I get on.

Cheers,
Don

IP Logged

Mark
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 3rd Mar, 2005 at 2:55pm

BTW there is a free upgrade available to 3.04. Contact your dealer to obtain this.

Regards
Mark

IP Logged

donvince
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 7th Mar, 2005 at 12:30pm

Hi Mark,

I have tried logging in as a non-administrator and have confirmed that this error message still occurs.

That non-admin user does however work on different machines.

Is the upgrade to 3.04 likely to cure this? As a rule of thumb we tend to only roll out software upgrades during the summer period (this is a college).

Any further advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Don

IP Logged

Mark
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 7th Mar, 2005 at 1:37pm

Hi Don

I'm a little confused as to your situation at the moment. Are you saying that when you login as a non-admin user on the machine that you updated the graphics card drivers on, that you get the error message? In other words, it works for admin users but not for non-admins on the same machine?

If so this sounds very odd since graphics card drivers are installed on a per-machine basis rather than a per-user, so there should be no difference between logging in as an admin and as a non-admin user. The only thing I can think of is that DirectX has somehow not properly installed for non-admin users. Does dxdiag give the same information for non-admins as it did for admin users?

The upgrade to 3.04 probably won't make any difference as I'm not entirely sure that this is a specific Autograph problem. It sounds more like a graphics card driver/DirectX setup problem. However, if you do wish to upgrade it is very painless assuming you are using Group Policy for software deployment.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers
Mark

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: Support)