Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Please help with curved lines!!!
16-09-2011, 08:13 AM
Please help with curved lines!!!
Hi,
I am new to autograph, and not very good at statistics in general, so I need some help! Sad I have some points plotted onto a 2D graph page, and I really just want to join them with a curved line! And the line needs to go through all the points, but still be curved, much like on a cumulative frequency graph. How do I go about doing this?
Any help will be really appreciated!! Smile
Many thanks, Em
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2011, 11:38 AM
RE: Please help with curved lines!!!
Hi Em,

How many points have you got? If 7 or less than you can add a line which goes through all the points by selecting them, right-clicking and choosing "Best Fit", then OK. Then Autograph will plot a polynomial which goes through all the points. However this does not work for more than 7 points, a polynomial will still be plotted but it will not go through all the points.

How important is it that you use a curve? You could select two points, right-click and choose Line Segment. Then repeat for all the points until they are all joined up.

How important is it that it passes through all the points? In statistics we start with some data (hopefully a lot!) and try to fit a model to that data. The model is represented by our curve, we do not expect the model to fit the data perfectly but rather that it is a good representation of the data.

I hope this helps. If you need any more help just send some more information on the problem.

Best regards,

Simon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply